I noticed about 2 months late that the data on my digital camera was off by many years. As I use the file's last modification time to rename all images and videos to include the date in the file name, this was very impractical, and very annoying. The following fixed it all.
The reason this was happening to me was that I was using RVM, as well Bundler on a production server. This was the first time I used RVM in production, and I hoped it would run super smooth... Alas!
The main Sinatra web application was running perfectly, but the background script simply would not run, and there was no output either. Adding some debug statements in crontab revealed that all other operations ran perfectly both before and after the Ruby script.
~$ mkdir directory ~$ chmod 770 directory # gives full permissions for owner and group, none to others ~$ chmod g+s directory # makes new filed and dirs inherit group ownership ~$ chgrp grp directory # changes group ownership to "grp" ~$ cd directory/ ~/directory$ ls -la total 8 drwxrws--- 2 usr grp 4096 Nov 18 07:42 . drwxr-xr-x 6 usr usr 4096 Nov 18 07:42 ..
I like to work early in the morning, and have been pretty annoyed when my relatively slow Asus eee seemingly randomly ground almost to a complete halt for a few minutes every morning. I noticed eventually that this happened around 7:30, and I usually had to kill some processes, such as these, to get work done: /usr/bin/python /usr/sbin/update-apt-xapian-index --update --quiet /usr/bin/find / -ignore_readdir_race ( -fstype NFS -o -fstype nfs -o -fstype nfs
It turns out that anacron was set up (presumably by default) to run all the daily cron jobs (defined in /etc/cron.daily) at 7:30.
The computer had no wired or wireless connection.
When clicking the Network manager icon, the first line read No network devices available.
This was an ancient Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop with Broadcom BCM4311 wireless network adapter and Broadcom BCM4411 wired ethernet adapter. If your computer is not the same, this solution may not work.
This is mostly a note to myself to save a minute of searching every time I need it: wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add - sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list' sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install -y google-chrome-stable